The Managing Editor is the leader and chief editor of WMFE’s newsroom, overseeing news staff, production, and output of news on both stations and all platforms.
- Works with Director of Content and news staff to set strategic priorities and goals for WMFE’s news operation, including platform and programming priorities, focus topics and beats, and geographic coverage priorities.
- Works with Director of Content to implement the strategic plan for content.
- Sets WMFE’s news agenda. Plans daily and long-range news coverage on all platforms.
- Plans coverage of major events, as well as special series and projects.
- Creates and maintains plans for coverage of crises and breaking news, working with the Director of Content and other station departments as appropriate. o Makes reporting and producing assignments.
Standards & Quality Control
- Serves as primary news editor, with responsibility for ensuring all WMFE news content is accurate, ethical, engaging, and in line with the highest standards of professional journalism.
- Works with the Director of Content and other related content staff to provide coaching and feedback for on-air news staff.
- Works with Director of Content to solicit and reflect community input on news coverage priorities.
- Creates opportunities for the community to engage with news content, virtually and in person.
- Works with Director of Content to identify and build news-related partnerships and collaborations with other media and/or with community organizations. Oversees and/or directly manages WMFE’s participation in such collaborations.
- Collaborates with NPR and other national public media outlets on news coverage as appropriate.
- Works with other station departments to ensure success of news initiatives.
Management & Administration
- Manages news department staff, including providing regular feedback and performance reviews. o Recruits for news positions and makes recommendations to Director of Content on personnel decisions including hiring and firing.
- Works with Director of Content to create news department budget; manages budget throughout the year.
- Fills in for hosts and other news department staff as needed. o May fill in for Director of Content as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
- At least five years of professional journalism experience and deep knowledge of the ethics and practices of journalism
- At least three years of news management and/or editorial experience
- Experience working on radio and digital platforms in a multimedia news organization
- Deep understanding of the purposes and mission of public broadcasting
- Understanding of and openness to digital platforms as crucial and coequal with broadcast platforms
- Familiarity with trends in emerging media and community engagement as they relate to journalism
- Experience with digital content delivery
- Experience in public media journalism
- Experience with news-related community engagement initiatives
- Experience with news-related live events
- Knowledge of Florida/Central Florida community and issues
- Strong news judgement
- Leadership skills
- Organizational skills
- Problem solving skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Collaboration skills
If you are interested in joining our team oriented workplace please send a resume and cover letter stating position of interest and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: 407-206-2791, or mail to: WMFE, 11510 E. Colonial Drive, Orlando, Florida 32817. EOE & DFW.