Deadline to apply: August 16, 2019
Station: WLRN Public Media
Company: South Florida Public Media
FLSA Status: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Digital Director
Schedule: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday - Friday or as job demands
Location: Miami/Doral, Florida
(1) Fill out the job application form here. Then, submit (2) a cover letter, (3) a resume or CV, (4) five work samples (links or mp3s) and (5) at least three references who have worked closely with you and can speak to your qualifications for the position.
Email all materials to email@example.com and include “Digital News Editor” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until August 16, 2019.
We are looking for a passionate storyteller with experience editing in multiple platforms and excellent news judgment. The digital editor is in charge of curating the WLRN home page and other digital platforms, as well as working day-to-day with reporters and producers to ensure top-quality digital content comes out of the newsroom. The ideal candidate is an innovator who can pitch and manage simultaneous editorial projects and feed the daily beast.
- Inspires and helps reporters and producers to create multimedia for their stories, and edits copy for publication on WLRN.org
- Curates WLRN's homepage and sections of the website
- Curates content for WLRN's app and newsletters
- Ensures headlines and other digital copy are SEO-friendly
- Pitches and formulates original story ideas and produces stories on deadline
- Assists in audience engagement efforts via social media, other digital platforms, and in-person events
- Works with station leadership to increase WLRN’s digital audience and reach of our content
- Works with editors, reporters, anchors and producers to continuously innovate on WLRN’s digital -- and analog -- platforms
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- At least five years experience in journalism
- Desire to innovate, create and think big
- Strong editorial judgment
- Skilled writer and copy editor
- Familiarity with best practices in SEO
- Familiarity with digital platforms and their specific content needs and uses
- Ability to shoot and edit photos and video, and create interactive graphics
- Familiarity with Adobe programs, especially Photoshop, Premiere and Audition (or similar)
- Basic HTML
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Data visualization chops
- Familiarity with public media sensibilities
- Experience in digital public media
- Familiarity with or passion for the region
- Language: Spanish, Haitian Creole, Portuguese
- Adobe Illustrator
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.
ABOUT WLRN PUBLIC MEDIA
WLRN is an award-winning public radio and television station. We are based in Miami and cover South Florida from the Palm Beaches to Key West. We are Florida’s largest public radio station. WLRN News is a daily broadcast radio and multimedia news operation producing 25 newscasts Monday through Friday for WLRN 91.3 FM,101.5 FM in Palm Beach County and 91.5 FM in the Florida Keys, and digital content for WLRN.org.