Produce for To the Best of Our Knowledge, PRX’s Peabody Award-winning radio program and podcast, a “public radio magazine of ideas” with a national audience. This is not a hosting position but will include an on-air role.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Produce interviews, segments, and programs for weekly broadcast and podcast.
- Research and develop in-depth show themes.
- Contribute on-air interviews, feature stories, and essays.
- Pre-interview, select, and book guests.
- Provide interviewers with background material and focused questions.
- Edit audio, making content decisions about what to include in interviews.
- Generate sound-rich production pieces.
- Write program scripts and continuity copy.
- Engage with on-line audience through social media.
- Contribute to TTBOOK website with articles and multi-media features.
- Maintain the standards of journalistic ethics and excellence described in Ethical Guidelines for Editorial Staff: http://bami.uwex.edu/
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in all workplace interactions and demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- 3 years of professional journalism experience with at least one year of fulltime experience in public radio and/or podcasting.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively under deadline pressure.
- Proven intellectual curiosity and rigor.
- Experience as an interviewer.
- Strong writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively engage diverse perspectives.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND INTERESTS
- Ability to unpack the ideas behind the movements and trends that are shaping our lives.
- A keen interest in science, gender, culture, global trends, literature, religion, music, race, philosophy, and new media.
- Desire to explore big ideas and make them engaging and accessible to a popular audience.
- Capacity to create content that has both intellectual and emotional appeal.
- Ability to collaborate with TTBOOK staff on all aspects of work.
DESIRABLE BUT NOT REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in journalism or new media.
- Proficiency with ProTools or other digital audio systems.
We expect to pay in the high $40,000’s to the low $50,000’s, with actual pay dependent upon qualifications and experience. The University of Wisconsin offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, sick leave and vacation. Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/.
HOW TO APPLY
For best consideration, external applicants may submit all application materials online at our applicant portal https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu by March 7, 2019. The job number is 15247. If you are a current UW System employee use http://bit.ly/2n9AibS. Please include a resume and a detailed cover letter outlining how your experience and skills relate to this position and how you will bring a diverse perspective to this job; a 10-15 minute audio sample of your work, including examples of your work as an interviewer and narrator; a list of three professional references, including one supervisor. A digital link to your samples is preferred.
Direct inquiries and online support questions to: Erin Cook, Wisconsin Public Radio, 821 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, 608-263-0477; email@example.com.
Employment will require a criminal background check. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
Employment is contingent on establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
It is the policy of University of Wisconsin to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact person listed above.
As a unit within the University of Wisconsin, WPR is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. WPR is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
For best consideration, please apply by March 7, 2019.