WAMU 88.5 is the leading public radio station for news and information in the greater Washington, D.C. area. Our newsroom is built on the core principles of editorial independence free of outside influence and journalism based on facts, verification, transparency, diverse voices, and the courage to embrace controversy. Deeply committed to the D.C. metro area, WAMU 88.5 produces distinctive programming that reflects the unique environment of our region and connects Washingtonians with each other and the world.
The Digital News Producer is charged with the day-to-day management and workflow of written content on the website and mobile. The Digital News Producer ensures that all written content coming out of the WAMU news team is engaging, accurate, grammatically sound, optimized for search and social, and consistent with WAMU’s editorial style and approach.
The Digital News Producer serves as “standards keeper” to the CMS, managing the editorial workflow, and ensuring that all reporters and producers are clear on how to optimize their content for online.
The Digital News Producer reports to the Managing Editor, Digital. The Digital News Producer works alongside the Audience Editor and Visuals Editor. Under direction from the Managing Editor, Digital, the Digital News Producer works closely with the Desk Editors and Senior Managing Editor to develop and maintain a reliable cross-platform workflow.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full Time. / 35-hours-per-week
- Sr. Coordinator/Analyst A
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Degree in journalism or related field, or equivalent experience
- Impeccable news judgment, and an ability to make good decisions quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Superior copy editing and headline writing skills
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to adjust editorial style for different platforms
- Knowledge and experience with best practices in SEO
- Impeccable grammar and ability to adhere to AP or other assigned style guidelines
- Knowledge and experience in optimizing content for shareability on social media
- Experience working within multiple content management systems
- Experience working with reporters to optimize their content for multiple platforms
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of public radio journalism
- Collaborative, and team-oriented with a positive approach to guiding others
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree
- 4-6 years of relevant experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
Find the link to apply HERE.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.