Full Time Salaried Permanent Position
The Managing Editor provides editorial leadership for Side Effects Public Media, a regional collaboration including six public radio stations, headquartered at WFYI. The position manages a team of reporters who produce outstanding enterprise journalism that brings to light important public health issues in Indiana and the central Midwest.
- Edits, mentors and trains reporters to develop excellent enterprise reporting on health, suitable for carriage on stations throughout the region and republication in newspapers.
- Develops coverage plans, and guides reporting and story planning.
- Edits radio stories and web text and directs visual presentation of digital stories.
- Provides editorial oversight for Side Effects web site and related social channels, guiding the work of the Multimedia Reporter/Editor.
- Edits health-related spot news aired on Indiana’s public radio stations.
- Works with the Community Engagement Specialist to develop community engagement efforts that reflect and support Side Effects journalism and local community needs.
- Works with Impact and Distribution Manager to ensure budgets, deliverables, and funder reporting are timely and accurate, and to contribute language and ideas for promotional and fundraising efforts.
- Works with Chief Content Officer to assess and refine Side Effects long-term strategy as a collaboration and regional news service.
- Works with News Director and Chief Content Officer to contribute health content to other platforms, including WFYI’s radio shows, TV channel and digital platforms.
- Cultivates and maintains strong relationships with NPR News editors and national show editors and pitches reporter’s stories to these outlet;
- Maintains strong relationships with station partner newsroom managers.
- Contributes editorial support to WFYI’s local news team, covering a variety of topics. Will provide special editorial support on longer term enterprise projects on an occasional, as needed basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or equivalent work experience required.
- A minimum of five years in progressively responsible journalistic or editorial leadership roles.
- Demonstrated professional experience in editing and producing audio stories and in writing and/or editing news articles for print/web publication.
- Experience with social media platforms, and community engagement tools preferred.
- Ability to excel in a team environment with a high level of personal motivation.
- High energy and passion for WFYI Public Media mission and core values of: Operating with unquestionable integrity; collaborating with each other and with community partners; respecting everyone; serving with humility; embracing change; delivering excellence every day.
- Expertise in public health, health policy, or social or health sciences preferred.
- Master’s degree in Journalism, communications, or related media studies preferred.
- Editorial management experience within public media organizations preferred.
How to Apply
Send cover letter (including salary requirements) and resume to email@example.com, Human Resources, WFYI, 1630 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202, on or before Monday, April 15, 2018.
PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS