North Country Public Radio is seeking a creative, ambitious, and talented reporter to join our award-winning, nationally recognized news team. NCPR is a stimulating, fun, collaborative place to work in a beautiful part of the country, close to the Adirondack Mountains, the St. Lawrence River and the 1000 Islands region, and nearby urban areas in Ottawa and Montreal, Canada.
We’re looking for a general assignment reporter -- enterprising and self-motivated, able to work on his or her own, and with a team.
The reporter will produce news stories for broadcast and digital platforms that serve the mission of the news department to provide coverage of issues of regional importance. They will also collaborate with the rest of the news team on special projects and investigative journalism.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Produce multiplatform content on a regular basis including broadcast news spots, sound-rich features and digital stories and build outs.
- Pitch story ideas and be responsible for coverage of the reporter’s assigned region.
- Gather audio in the field, covering news events and conducting interviews.
- Contribute to overall news department’s output including social media.
- Exhibit solid news judgment and the ability to perform without supervision, multitask, work under deadline pressure, and problem solve.
- Perform occasional on-air hosting/news anchoring duties.
- Participate in station and community-building events.
- Develop and demonstrate strong knowledge of current regional news issues.
- Strong background in journalism for radio and digital platforms - required
- Excellent writing skills for broadcast and web
- Ability to work various hours, including nights and weekends, depending on assignment
- Driver’s license and vehicle
- Ability to record and gather high-quality audio in the field
- Ability to use audio editing systems, such as Adobe Audition.
- Strong skills with photography. Video a plus.
- Expertise in multi-media skills, such as visual journalism, data-based reporting, social media engagement, etc.
- Comfort and competence with control room broadcast board or willingness to learn. - preferred
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume and references – including names, affiliations, addresses and phone numbers of three professional references. Full details are available here: https://employment.stlawu.edu/postings/1596
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. North Country Public Radio is licensed to St. Lawrence University in Canton, New York. This is a full-time position with an excellent package of university benefits.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, gender, or sexual orientation.