The KWMR Program Director (PD) is responsible for the overall sound of the station. The Program Director has final decision for programming, and he/she will work with the Programming Committee in crafting the program schedule. The PD is responsible for the management of volunteer programmers. At present there are 90-95.
Terms of Employment
The Program Director position is a 32 hour/week, exempt staff position with benefits (medical/dental/vacation days/holidays), to be evaluated annually by the Station Manager/Executive Director. Salary based on experience.
There is a ninety (90) day introductory period. This period is not to be construed as a contract. Employment can be terminated at any time, with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time during or after the introductory period, at the option of the organization or at the option of the employee. Benefits are available once the introductory period is complete.
- 4-year degree in media, public radio, or Associate Degree and at least 5 years in public radio.
- Experience in program development.
- Experience in supervision of personnel and volunteers.
- Audio production skills and experience in training for both live hosting and basic production. [Pro Tools First, Audacity]
- Ability to administer programming, including the development and implementation of policies, procedures, and preparation of reports.
- Knowledge of a variety of musical styles and traditions.
- Demonstrated excellence in live programming and production.
- Skills working with a wide variety of people.
- Proficiency with computer skills, including spreadsheets, preparing and editing documents, graphics, and using cloud-based platforms.
- Ability to speak Spanish helpful.
- Oversees the soliciting, recruitment, and evaluation of proposals for new programmers and pre-produced programs. Works with Station Manager/ED on budgets for nationally distributed programming.
- Oversees development of program schedule, and is on-call to resolve problems affecting the station’s programming.
- Oversees the development of on-air logs and public service announcements.
- Is a key member of the staff emergency response team and reports to station when a situation warrants providing live updates to listeners.
- Maintains broadcast and performance standards through monitoring programming and through formal reviews (see Programming Committee). As necessary, disciplines or discharges volunteers who violate Volunteer Agreement, FCC rules, or KWMR policy. Keeps abreast of changes in FCC rules, and other regulations concerning programming.
- Schedules and coordinates monthly Programming Committee meetings. Schedules assignment of Committee members to review hosts and shows. Coordinates annual elections of Programmer Reps to Programming Committee and to Conflict Resolution Committee.
- Schedules and facilitates training sessions for both on-air studio and production studio.
- Coordinates on-air interviews with interested parties who contact KWMR.
- Oversees schedule of KWMR’s community and public affairs series, “Epicenter.” Coordinates pitch meetings with Epicenter team to stay on top of emerging and ongoing issues.
- Creates Pledge Drive schedules, and coordinates programmer participation during biannual drives.
- Coordinates with Information Technology to schedule programs in automation As necessary, prepares programs for broadcast in production studio, and covers times without regular live host or regular pre-produced program.
- Oversees all monthly updates to schedules, including website show pages, automation platform and reporting schedules.
- Prepares weekly highlights for newspaper and e-newsletter.
- Monitors Quarterly Issues, and prepares quarterly report for online FCC filing.
- Submits quarterly streaming data and playlists to comply with Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
- Attends weekly staff meetings, and participates with station staff in planning and monitoring of strategic objectives.
- Attends fundraising and community engagement events along with other staff as necessary.
- Attends board and advisory board meetings as necessary.
Submit cover letter and resume by October 15, 2019 to email@example.com (preferred) or mail to KWMR, Attn: Amanda Eichstaedt, P.O. Box 1262, Point Reyes Station, CA 94956.
KWMR, West Marin Community Radio does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.