KALW is known for innovative local programming, for opening our doors to unheard voices, and for supporting startup media projects. Your Call, our flagship daily public affairs program, airs weekdays from 10-11 a.m. Your Call engages listeners in conversations about current events, politics, arts and the media, focusing on ways people can get involved, make change, and build community. We strive to be welcoming, curious, skeptical, and solutions-oriented. You can learn more at our website, www.yourcallradio.org.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO:
- Understands how to take a well-established program to the next level by assessing the program’s strengths and challenges.
- Is immersed in news and current affairs and has new ideas about facilitating dialogue and bringing listeners into conversations that matter.
- Has excellent fact-checking skills, as well as sound editorial judgment.
- Maintains high standards for all written materials, especially radio scripts and web copy.
- Can handle daily deadlines and the pressures of live radio.
- Works well independently, on a small team, and enjoys creative collaboration.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Successfully manages a small team of two (senior producer, host) and annual budget with clarity and creativity.
- With host, runs weekly editorial and production meetings.
- Works with the host and senior producer to syndicate Monday’s One Planet series and Friday’s Media Roundtable.
- In consultation with development director and general manager, sets direction for a strategic fundraising plan for Your Call.
- Produces two shows in studio per week: Schedule, pre-interview, and prep guests for the broadcast; provide prep and research materials for the host; write script intro and questions, work with social media producer to raise awareness about each show. Screen phone calls, direct engineers, and communicate with host during broadcast.
- Develops and implements creative ideas to promote the show, the Your Call podcast, and grow our social media presence.
START DATE: Immediate
PAY & BENEFITS: Independent contractor. Compensation commensurate with experience, in the market range for comparable positions in public radio. Range is $70,000--$80,000
PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS BY Sept 8, 2019:
Resume, including your e-mail address.
A Cover letter about what you’d bring to Your Call and KALW.
KALW and the San Francisco Unified School District is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. KALW/SFUSD does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
PREFERRED CANDIDATES WILL HAVE:
- Five+ years radio experience in news reporting and/or public affairs programming
- Experience with show syndication
- Experience implementing successful social media strategy
- Enthusiasm identifying and researching possible funders and underwriters for journalistic projects.
The application link can be found HERE.