Your Call is a listener participation program broadcast weekdays from 10-11am on KALW public radio in San Francisco. Our aim is to engage with listeners in conversations about current events, politics, arts and media, with attention on the ways people can get involved, make change, and build community. We strive to be welcoming, curious, skeptical, and solutions-oriented. You can learn more at our website, www.yourcallradio.org.
Questions we’ve addressed recently include:
- What’s being done to address inhumane conditions in detention centers?
- How are sex trafficking survivors supporting each other and healing?
- How are moms across the country taking on the powerful gun lobby?
- What will it take to hold religious leaders accountable for clergy abuse?
- What is life like in Iraq, 16 years after the US invasion?
- Canada acknowledges genocide against MMIW. What’s next?
- How should California tackle its child poverty crisis?
- What’s being done to save the bees?
Every Friday, we host the popular media roundtable, which brings together journalists from the mainstream, alternative, and international press to critique the week's news coverage. And for the past year, we’ve broadcast our One Planet series, which explores the interconnected crises facing humanity and the planet we share.
KALW was the first FM station west of the Mississippi, one of the first NPR affiliates, and the first public broadcaster to bring BBC programming to the San Francisco Bay Area, the nation’s 5th largest media market.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO:
- Is a self-starter who brings ideas on how to develop funding streams for the program through underwriting, dedicated foundation fundraising, and listener/ membership engagement.
- Understands how to take a well-established program to the next level by assessing the program’s strengths and challenges, surveying the existing radio/audio market and increasing listener reach and engagement.
- Is immersed in news and current affairs and has new ideas about facilitating dialogue and bringing listeners into conversations that matter.
- Has excellent writing, editing and fact-checking skills, as well as sound editorial judgment.
- Maintains high standards for all written materials, especially show and web copy.
- Can handle daily deadlines and the pressures of live radio.
- Works well independently, on a small team, and enjoys creative collaboration.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Successfully manages a small team and annual budget with clarity and creativity.
- In consultation with development director and general manager, sets direction for a strategic fundraising plan for Your Call.
- Works with the host and senior producer to syndicate Monday’s One Planet series and Friday’s Media Roundtable.
- With host, runs weekly editorial and production meetings.
- Produces two shows per week: Schedule, pre-interview, and prepare guests for the broadcast; provide preparatory and research materials for the host; write script intro and questions, next day promos, and the show posting (description, headline, and links) for the website; and works with the social media producer to raise awareness about each show.
- Oversee the broadcast in-studio two days a week: Screen phone calls, direct engineers, and communicate with host.
- Track potential guests coming to town, order books, and reach out to publicists.
- Come up with creative ideas to promote the show, the Your Call podcast, and grow our social media presence.
- Set up the studio for our guests and enable our Facebook live broadcast.
EXPERIENCE &KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Three+ years radio experience in news and/or public affairs programming.
- News reporting experience preferred.
- Fundamentals of digital audio editing.
- Familiarity with social media and marketing.
PAY & BENEFITS
- Independent contractor. Compensation commensurate with experience, in the market range for comparable positions in public radio.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Resume, including your e-mail address.
- A short personal statement about what you’d bring to Your Call and KALW. What creative ideas do you have for reaching new audiences and fundraising streams for Your Call?
- Three examples of your radio/audio work: Shows or podcasts you have hosted or produced, reporting, and/or promos you have scripted or produced. (Share as MP3, CD, or online link)
- Three examples of your writing. Can include radio scripts.
- Three professional references.
All application materials must be RECEIVED by close of business on July 31st.
Please submit all materials to:
ATTN: Tina Pamintuan/General Manager
500 Mansell Street
San Francisco, CA 94134
WOMEN & PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.