Georgia Public Broadcasting (GPB) seeks a features editor to coordinate and grow the feature reporting work of our small-but-mighty team of reporters. We're looking for an organized, upbeat and energetic person with experience reporting and editing feature news and a deep commitment to issues affecting Georgia and the South. The editor should have experience regularly reporting, editing and producing complex audio and text features on deadline, experience planning and meeting both short and long-term coverage goals, absolute dedication to accuracy and excellence, and a positive approach to working with people across the newsroom. The features editor will also report feature stories and pitch to national programs.
The features editor may occasionally step in as needed to cover for Morning Edition or All Things Considered hosts, so we prefer an applicant with strong hosting experience. This position is based in the wonderful city of Atlanta, works closely with the assistant news director and reporters, and reports to the managing editor. Travel to bureaus around the state is required, and entails being on the road for two to three days several times each year.
GPB Radio is a highly collaborative organization with a deep commitment to teambuilding and serving the community. We are a network of 18 radio stations and nine television stations, broadcasting to all of Georgia and parts of Florida, Alabama, Tennessee and South Carolina – and we reach an even bigger audience through the internet and our podcasts. Join us!
• Bachelor's degree in a related field. Five years’ journalism experience required; public radio feature reporting experience required.
• Two years’ experience editing reporters on in-depth features required.
• Demonstrated ability to identify key developments and distill complex matters required, knowledge of issues affecting Georgia and the South preferred.
• Demonstrated high-level writing and editing skills, both for broadcast and web in AP style.
• Experience gathering quality audio and editing in Adobe Audition or similar software.
• Ability to work collaboratively, set and meet deadlines, create and uphold short and long-term coverage goals, juggle multiple tasks and multiple deadlines.
• Experience with newsroom leadership and management preferred.
• Experience hosting Morning Edition or All Things Considered locally preferred.
• Must be able to work varying shifts, to include seven days per week, weekends and holidays.
We Offer: Paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, retirement plans; Pre-tax benefits for health, dental, vision, life, specified illness and accidental insurance; Health and child care spending accounts; Disability insurance; and opportunities for training and professional development.
To Apply: Upload resume, cover letter, three letters of reference and complete the applicant form on the GPBs Job Center located at www.gpb.org/jobs. ONLY Applications submitted through the GPB Job Center will be accepted, and only complete applications will be considered.
Deadline to Apply: Open Until Filled.
Georgia Public Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
DATE POSTED: 2-20-19
RECRUITMENT NUMBER: C-5-19